Sunday, July 20, 2008

Float Trip Madness

There really wasn't any madness involved, but I thought it sounded good.

I haven't written anything here since before I got the iPhone 3G to work, which was over a week ago. I went to Bolivar, so that's probably why.

Then I came back and went floating, and these are the highlights of the trip:

1. Driving under not just one, but two stealth bombers on the way to the river. Those things are incredibly cool. Unfortunately, after taking a sweet picture on my phone to post on Twitter, I accidentally tapped the "Retake" button instead of the "Use photo" button, and lost it forever.

2. Wearing the same clothes for over two days. Granted, I had the shirt off a lot, but still. Who isn't homeless and does that? And it was completely okay just because of the context.

3. Rain. It pretty much only rained while we were on the river, which was surprisingly nice. It kept things cool and relaxed, and we didn't have to worry about much sunburning.

4. "Epic fog". That's what we called it. I could see approximately 30 feet in any direction for a while during the float, and that was cool. My buddy and I may as well have been alone on the river, since we somehow got a mile or so ahead of the rest of our friends.

5. No-stop pee breaks. Thanks to the fog, we could just stand up and aim sideways, and there was nobody around to mind.

6. Skipping rocks. It's just fun.

7. Putting on sunglasses to allow less obvious people watching. I only did this once, but it was effective and worth it.

8. No phone service. It's always nice every now and then. I did still use the iPhone to watch an episode of Weeds yesterday afternoon when everyone but me passed out, and I used it to listen to Death Cab for Cutie to drown out the obnoxious cicadas last night when I went to sleep, but the actually phone/communication part was nowhere to be found until the trip back.

9. No chicks. I think that's a lot of the reason we got done floating sooner than expected, leaving plenty of time for the afternoon nap during which I watched Weeds.

10. Using up the last of the firewood, along with some lighter fluid, to melt a few pop cans. It was just cool in pretty much every way.


That seems like a good number. I'm going to bed because I have to get up and get back to work tomorrow. Construction is not for me, by the way. Thank God for college.