Friday, July 25, 2008

Nail guns are expensive.

Wednesday was easily the worst day of work I've ever experienced.

I won't go into the fact that I wasn't planning on working this job ever again after last week, because I would feel immature and selfish, which I probably am.

I was on a rooftop, nailing some siding up on the face of a wall between that roof top and another one a few feet above it. I finished putting up the siding and started my descent, with my boss/coworker's nail gun attached to a hook on my tool belt, but the gun got to the ground much, much faster than I did.

It slipped off the hook while I was climbing cautiously down the ladder on the roof, slid 15 or so feet down the roof I was on, fell about 6 feet to a lower roof, then bounced or slid off that one the remaining 12 or so feet to the ground. After the obligatory "are you okay?" from a different coworker, I asked if the gun was broken, even though I already knew the answer.

"That gun cost $497," I'm told. Wonderful. After lunch the gun's owner told me it was about $200 worth of repairs, but he didn't ask me to pay for it or anything.

Being stupid, I didn't know how to respond. Then I was home sick yesterday, and today it's raining. That's actually what I was hoping for, because, as you may have guess, I hate this job. I hate it more now, though, that I'll barely be keeping any of the money I earned this week, thanks to gravity.

It's funny how it takes me 20 hours to earn $200, but only about 5 seconds to lose it again.