Sunday, July 6, 2008

Last week with this iPhone.

I just realized it. On Friday, I'll be replacing this thing with a
new, shiny, black version that initially costs half as much.

It's interesting to think about my feelings toward the iPhone since
its announcement last January. At first, I was amazed by its
capabilities and design. I had to get one, but I didnt think it would
be worth $600 for 8GB, or whatever it was at the time.

Over the next 6 months before the release on June, I learned to
despise it. It seemed to be the only thing that sites like Gizmodo and
Engadget would write about, and I didnt like it taking up so much
space on my favorite sites

Then came the commercials. Oh, those commercials.... The ones with the
people in front of black backdrops on the street. I hated them. The
one with the airline pilot who's iPhone was supposed to be more
reliable than the control tower's weather reports actually made me
angry. How could someone possibly be so arrogant because of their
stupid phone.

Sometime in January of this year, I got so annoyed with my Motorola Q
that I started looking for a new phone to replace it when my Verizon
contract expired in the spring. I wanted to change to AT&T because
almost every one of my friends is on that network, so it just made
sense. Also, I've never liked Verizon's phone selection.

Anyway, I looked at AT&T's phones, and I was thinking about getting a
Blackberry Pearl, because my roommate had had one earlier in the
school year before he dropped it off the mezzanine track at the gym at
school. He replaced it with a Curve, instead.

Then I realized the iPhone's capabilities again, partially in thanks
to those dreaded Gizmodo and Engadget articles, as well as a little
GeekBrief.tv. Then I requested a credit line increase, and when I got
it the next day, I ordered the my iPhone.

The next weekend, I traveled to visit some friends in Bolivar, MO.
During my drive there, these friends decided to leave for Springfield,
which is about a half hour away. They called and told me to just drive
there, instead of going to Bolivar. My friend, Matt, asked if I knee
how to get to this Chinese restaurant from where I was. My response?
"Dude, I have an iPhone."

Needless to say, I got there with no trouble at all. Then, I
apologized for being one of those arrogant punks from the commercials
I hated so much.

After being in awe of it, then annoyed by it, then downright hating
it, I was in love with the iPhone.

And now I'm replacing it. I have a deal lined up to sell the one I'm
using to type this to a friend of my friend's ex-girlfriend in
Ukraine. Crazy.

I'd better remember to appreciate my last week with the pretty,
aluminum back on this one. As long as the new one can still click into
my windshield mount, I'll be happy.



EDIT: July 6, 7:31 pm

Here's the commercial that angered me:





And here's the spoof that made me feel better: